While international services and big tech generate vast amounts of A2P traffic, the lion’s share of day-to-day consumption and economic relations still occur domestically, which is proportionally reflected in the volumes of national A2P messaging: from our experience operating worldwide, domestic traffic contributes about 80% of premium traffic.
While many operators have yet to tap into domestic A2P traffic as a revenue stream, proper message profiling and strategy development are vital for operators striving to get the most out of this channel.
In this article, we take a look at methods and tools for effective A2P traffic profiling, critical considerations in domestic A2P strategy development, and best practices that maximise A2P messaging revenues.
Understand your traffic profiles
Understanding the characteristics and behaviour of domestic A2P traffic is the foundation of any successful A2P messaging monetisation strategy. It allows operators to identify opportunities for improvement, reorganise traffic flows and implement necessary changes in both their defences and contractual agreements.
Tools like mobile operator data analytics can be invaluable for gaining insights into message types, volumes, and patterns, as well as for properly addressing any occurring issues. For instance, a sudden surge in P2P messages might indicate potential fraud happening in the operator’s network. Coupled with a properly integrated AI and ML-powered firewall, this information can be used for a lightning-fast response which would allow to either completely block or redirect illicit traffic via legal routes.
Identifying the sources of A2P traffic is another crucial aspect of profiling. This can be accomplished using traffic source analysis, comparing the message profiles against the service profile databases that categorise traffic sources, providing insights into the message contents linked to specific businesses, with the discrepancies serving as additional red flags.
Four steps for building a solid strategy
An effective domestic A2P strategy can help operators comply with regulations, manage network capacity, and create sustainable pricing models while maximising their revenue generation. Surviving in the growing A2P market requires a comprehensive, data-driven strategy that not only monitors and optimises traffic but also mitigates fraud and secures end-user privacy. To develop a fitting strategy, you need to:
- Understand and adhere to the requirements imposed by the local legislation, as the regulatory environment dictates the conditions and definitions that can be included in contractual agreements between the operators and their partners, greatly influencing the arrangements. It is also vital to understand and comply with data protection laws, such as the GDPR, to ensure that any A2P messaging activities respect the privacy rights of recipients to avoid crippling fines for violations.
- Ensure proper network capacity by having the infrastructure capable of handling the volumes of A2P messages sent and received without compromising service quality.
- Design cost and pricing models to balance affordability for customers and profitability for the business. This involves understanding the costs associated with sending messages and determining a pricing structure that is both competitive and sustainable.
- Employ a data-driven approach, as it is pivotal to any successful A2P monetisation strategy. Understanding your traffic’s volumes, origins, and destinations allows you to effectively determine peak times, identify patterns, and allocate resources. As mentioned previously, advanced data analytics platforms provide insights into A2P traffic trends and behaviour, allowing MNOs to optimise traffic management and devise tailored strategies that maximise revenue.
GMS pro tips: the best practices
Check out the best ideas that will help you maximise the domestic A2P messaging revenues of your network:
- Analytics and machine learning are invaluable for predicting and managing traffic by facilitating real-time decisions and automatic routing changes according to predicted network workload spikes to avoid congestion. This will result in improved network performance and increased A2P messaging revenue.
- Implement fraud prevention measures like firewalls and spam filters to maintain the integrity of your services, protecting the subscribers and safeguarding your revenue and reputation. Smart firewalls can bring those protective measures to a new level by using machine learning to identify and react to fraudulent patterns swiftly, ensuring optimal network security and customer satisfaction.
- Engage with subscribers and stakeholders, as it is vital to understanding the needs and preferences of your customers and partners. Regularly solicited feedback and customer satisfaction surveys help establish open dialogue, allowing to continually improve the offerings while also being transparent about any changes in policies such as pricing or zero-tolerance towards spam.
- You need to ensure that your A2P messaging platforms are secure and that customer data is adequately protected. Virgin Mobile UK, for example, encrypts all A2P messages to ensure data privacy and security. This not only builds trust with customers but also safeguards revenue by preventing data breaches and resultant regulatory fines.
- Successful A2P monetisation requires working with reliable and trusted A2P providers. Leading messaging providers such as GMS will ensure your services are reliable, secure, and efficient, maximising your revenue potential. By partnering with trusted global players, you receive the additional benefit of gaining access to relevant insights from other markets, as fraud often occurs in distant regions that are seemingly unconnected to domestic markets.
- Establish clear service level agreements to establish the expectations and responsibilities of all parties. This way, you will ensure that your A2P messaging partners deliver reliable and high-quality service. Detailing response times, uptime guarantees, and penalties for service lapses will help ensure the highest possible QoS for your subscribers and corporate clients, higher customer satisfaction, and increased A2P messaging revenue.
Maximising your A2P messaging revenue requires a deep understanding of your network and a comprehensive, data-driven strategy encompassing traffic management, fraud prevention, customer engagement, security, and partnerships with reliable providers. By implementing these best practices, mobile network operators can capitalise on the growing A2P messaging market and significantly boost their domestic revenues.